I'm living in that 21st century doin' something mean to it
Do it better then anybody you ever seen do it
Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it
I guess every superhero need his theme music
~Kanye West, Power (lyrics)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE[/youtube]*If you're reading this by email, make sure to click through to the post to view the above video or you can watch the video here.
Are You Powerful?
If your answer was anything but an emphatic “YES!” you've lost connection with your power source. Or maybe you never identified your true power source. Now is the time to stop everything and make it your priority to find out what makes you feel powerful.
I've talked before about how important it is for entrepreneurs to stay inspired. When you are a one-man or one-woman show, responsible for making epic sh*t happen, being uninspired can make it impossible for you to accomplish your goals. The same is true of your power. If you are trying to accomplish something in life, if you are building a legacy and want to make an impact on the world, you've got to have THE POWER!
Every single person has superpowers within them – natural, God-given talent or skills that can impact the world in a big way – but many are afraid to admit it. Admitting that you are powerful leads to responsibility. It makes us responsible for our current circumstances since we know we have the power to change them. It makes us responsible for our dreams going unrealized and our talents being unused. People who don't feel powerful don't leave legacies, they don't do epic sh*t, they hide their light. Worst of all, they let life happen to them.
Why I Don't Shop at Wal-Mart
Every now and then my husband and I would go to Wal-Mart to purchase certain household items. It was closer to our house than Target and it really did have great prices. The last time we went to Wal-Mart was a few months ago. We had just moved and were looking for something for our new apartment. As we walked around it struck me that shopping at Wal-Mart made me feel poor. Something about the lighting, the selection, the displays and even those blue vests that the employees wear, made me feel poor. I told my husband and he felt the same way. That was our very last trip to Wal-Mart.
Now, I have plenty of friends who love and swear by Wal-Mart. More power to them. I am not trying to make a judgment call, suggesting that people who shop at Wal-Mart are poor or anything of the sort. I'm just saying that shopping at Wal-Mart made ME feel poor. And feeling poor is the opposite of feeling powerful.
Power: great or marked ability to do or act; strength; might; force.
What Makes You Feel Powerful?
We all have unpowerful days where we feel beat up by life, tired and unable to accomplish our goals. On days like that, you should have a list of power action steps at the ready. Use those activities to tap into your power source. Here are a few activities that work for me:
- Listening to Kanye West. Sometimes a little arrogant rap music is all you need to pick yourself up and recognize you are a powerful being fully capable of doing extraordinary things.
- Shoes. A nice pair of three inch heels that make my legs look longer and make me feel tall can go a long way in boosting my confidence.
- Teaching. Sharing what I know with others is an amazing power boost. Realizing that I can have a positive impact on someone else's life and help them to fulfill their goals and dreams is really amazing.
- Public Speaking. Similar to teaching, its an opportunity to share myself with an audience and hopefully give them something useful in a tangible way. Its also an adrenaline rush wondering if you're really ready and if you will really connect with your audience.
- Swimming. Seeing a swim lane in front of me and conquering it through lap after lap, is also empowering. Something about feeling light and moving through the water effortlessly and with rhythm is awesome. That's why swimming is my exercise of choice.
- Paying the Bills. I know it seems silly but paying my bills on time makes me feel powerful. There was a time in my life where paying my bills every month, on time was an aspirational goal. Now, my bills are all on automatic payment schedules and it just happens without much effort on my part. Checking my bank account and seeing that my bills were paid and there's still some left over is still a thrill to me.
- Communing with Powerful People. I am a member of a marvelous mastermind group of entrepreneurs who are relentlessly pursuing their goals and dreams. They provide first-rate support and can turn a lousy day into a magical one. Surrounding yourself with powerful people can do wonders for your own sense of power.
There are several other power activities that make me feel like I'm ready to take on the world but now its your turn. What are your power activities? What is your power source? How could tapping into your power enhance your life?
I am currently working on a new site that will launch in a few days called Freedom Is The New Rich™. The first thing I'll be launching on the site is a new course for lawyers who want to launch their own innovative law practices. In the future, the site will house resources for entrepreneurs who also believe that ‘freedom is the new rich.' Stay tuned . . .